Friday 5 September 2014

Madrid day 1

Barcelona Ariport

My backpack. It looks tiny but it's very spacious

My journey started in Stockholm. My flight with Vueling airlines was meant to leave at 13.35,which would take me to Barcelona. Upon arrival to Stockholm Arlanda airport, I realised that my flight was delayed by an hour and five minutes. I was disappointed, of course, but I also had a strange feeling that this would happen. Almost everytime I fly with a new airline, I am skeptical. Skeptical to what the future will bring onboard that flying vessel, and curious as to how many hours my flight will be delayed by... Anyhow, after a brief examination of the information screen, I briskly headed over to the check-in counter. I told them my situation; that my final destination that day was Madrid and that I would miss my connection in Barcelona due to the delay from Stockholm. (As a side note, I would also like to point out that I was nervous about my short 50-minute connection time in Barcelona... it's almost impossible). They told me that they could not help me book a new flight as the Vueling office was in Barcelona. This meant that I would have to wait until I arrived in Barcelona to book a new flight to Spain's capital.

As a frequent flyer, one is used to the many queues, mishaps, delays and hours spent at airports staring into thin air. You just get on with it. All I could do was say goodbye to mother and head on over to security. After a 15-minute wait I was trough and headed over to my gate. I made use of the free wifi that Arlanda offer (Yes Arlanda!), and when my time expired I started reading my Madrid-guidebook, soaking up information about the city I was about to explore. After a long wait we finally got to board our tiny plane, which would take us to Barcelona. I felt sorry for all the tall Swedes for the tiny legroom on the plane. It resembles any Ryanair flight but with better service (Thank the Lord). Even I, measuring at 1.66m felt claustrophobic in that tiny space, crammed between two people, and the seat in front of me.


Upon arrival in Barcelona, after an very uncomfortable flight, we stepped out of the plane onto the tarmac, greeted by a comfortable 23 degrees Celcius. As per usual in southern Europe (at least in my opinion), the transit busses took us to the termial. I quickly headed on over to the information kiosk to ask for information, racing several other passengers on my plane. They guided me over to the Iberia desk, where I would get help to rebook my flight. After a quick explanation of my situation and a short 5-minute wait I was presented with a new boarding ticket and a dinner- voucher (one of the perks of the day).

After a quick look-see in some of the many shops Barcelona airport offers, I made my way over to the canteen to eat some food. God it was good. Any other day I wouldn't have eaten that crap, but that day I didn't care; it tasted like heaven!
After a couple of hours wait in the airport, it was time to head off to Madrid, at last. After a short flight, and a long day, we finally landed. I quickly headed on over to the salida, where upon I headed for the metro, which would take me into the centre of Madrid. Line 8 took me to Nuevos Ministerios, where Helen kindly met up with me. We then hopped on the dark blue line (line 10) to Alonso Martinez. I was happily surprised that it was quite easy to find my way around the deserted metro stations. As well as the way to the hostel, where I checked in, received my key, and was to shown to my 2people dorm.

Day two of my Madrid adventure will be up tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment