Saturday 6 September 2014

Madrid day 2










After quite an uncomfortable and sweaty night, I finally got up at 8.30 to get ready, pack my bag and get some breakfast. After my breakfast I headed out on a short walk around the neighbourhood, soaking up the beauty of the quiet streets of Madrid on the Sunday morning.
As Helen and I had decided to meet up by the Alonso Martinez metro station, I headed over to the plaza. After a short wait we were reunited again. Helen wanted to head over to Bilbao so we walked down Calle de Sagasta for about a 15 minute walk. We found a Starbucks and sat down with a coffee and decided what we would do that day. As were on the West side of the city, we decided that we would do the more touristy things.
Firstly though, Helen wanted to check out the sports section in the nearest Corte Ingles, so we headed over there. Helen has been wanting to get a Real Madrid football-shirt for a long time, and the shirts in the kid's section were 64.99euros. This is cheap compared to the 85euros one has to pay to get ''the real deal.''

We then headed out of Corte Ingles to go to the nearest metro station, Arguellas. We headed to Opera, to visit the Palacio Real. After a quick look on the map, we found our way over there. It was magnificent! Even though the shutters of the palace were closed, and the facade looked the same everywhere, it was pretty amazing. We then turned left and headed to the Cathedral which is right next to the Palace. We arrived just as mass was starting and we felt a bit awkward to be in there during mass, so after a brief look-see, I lit a candle and then we headed out.
We decided to go to Mercado de San Miguel for some food and a drink. On the way we saw quite a few interesting people and buildings. We passed by Plaza de Villa for example. Upon arrival at the Mercado, I was mesmerized by the atmosphere, it's just like nay other crammed market with people everywhere and food in masses! We found a place we liked, just by the entrance and decided to get a beer. This is where everything started going wrong. Helen and I were standing next to each other, and Helen ordered her cerveza. But the man didn't take my order, for some reason. He asked the next person, who arrived after us, and served him. This went on for about 10 minutes, he absolutely didn't give a rat's ass about serving me. I got fed up and asked Helen if she could order for me. At this point, a new person was working at the counter. Helen finally got served and bought a cerveza and salad for me (not what I had wanted, but we shared the salad anyhow...) After the quick lunch we headed to Plaza Mayor. Right in the middle of the square we encountered a 30-something man on a 
Segway  He came up to us and started advertising his company, and what kind of tours they do on the Segways. After a quick chat, he asked us if we wanted to try riding the Segway. Helen was skeptical at first as she thinks they look dorky, but in the end she went on it. I filmed a bit of her ride on it. It was then my turn to go on it and i really enjoyed it! this is now another thing I can tick off my bucket-list! Also, I decided to name the dude Cedrick.
On our way from Plaza Mayor we passed by Plaza del Puerta del Sol, or simply just called Sol. on the plaza we bumped into a few people dressed up as cartoon characters, there was Spongebob (whom we took a photo with), Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Bart Simpson and other goofy characters. They must have been sweltering in those thick costumes as it was bloody boiling. We finally ended up on Gran Via after a long walk where we got lost amongst the many streets and tall buildings, but proceeded down towards Plaza de la Cibeles. This is where we decided to finally sit down on a bench as our legs were hurting so much!!
At this point we decided that the best thing to do was go home, where we would grab something to eat, have a quick nap and
finally be able to put down my heavy backpack which we had been carrying around Madrid for the whole day...
At about four we headed back out again to go and visit the Real Madrid stadium, Santiago Bernabeu. We finally go to the bar where we got a drink voucher. We sat down by the window with our cervezas, overlooking the football pitch. I thought that the outside of the stadium was quite boring, I mean it was huge, but I feel like it could have been more extravagant. Helen was in heaven though, she says that the Santiago Bernabeu area is her favourite part of Madrid, along with Salamanca.
We finished our beers and headed out again. We walked around the stadium and headed over to the metro station. At this point my mind is a little fuzzy, you have to understand, it felt like this day went on forever. It's been a good long while since I have done so much in one day. And so much walking!


We got on the metro and headed over to a rooftop bar near Plaza de Cibeles. After a bit of searching, we finally found the place, payed the entrance fee of 3euros and headed up in the lift. Once we stepped out of the lift, we were greeted by a large group of people and a lovely view of Madrid. We decided to get our drinks and look at the sunset. Helen ordered two sangrias for us, but we ended up getting two Gin and Tonics instead... this was the second time our order was screwed up! Anyhow, after a quick photo-session we walked around the place looking for a place to sit, but the only free seats were reserved, which was a pest for us as our legs and feet were hurting after having walked several km's during the long and hot day. I think the rooftop bar was one of my favourite things about my trip to Madrid, it was just such a nice atmosphere and the view was impeccable.
We stayed there for about an hour and a half before we needed to head back home to have dinner with the family. It took a while for us to get down though as the lift was quite small and a lot of people were leaving at the same time as us.
Once we got back to the apartment the family was waiting for us at the table. We said hello and we sat down to eat. It was very good! On my bed there was something that looked like a note. On the front of the envelope, it said To Sofia, From Angel. I opened it to find a nicely drawn picture of a house, a tall building and a tree. Angel had been so thoughtful that he drew a beautiful drawing to me. My heart melted. After dinner we helped clear up and then Helen and I skyped Jen in my room. We stayed up quite late, and after such a long day I passed out almost immediately after my cold shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment