Tuesday 24 June 2014

Midsummer's Eve







Our midsummer consisted of singing snapsvisor, traditional dancing, eating mass amounts of food and talking. As usual, we all gathered at our friends' house out in the countryside for the annual celebration of the summer solstice. Just like Christmas, midsummer is celebrated the eve before the actual event in Sweden, which always falls on a Friday. For half the day I was wearing my grandmother's handmade folkdräkt from Ramsele. It was incredibly warm and I had to change into something more appropriate before dinner, as it felt like I was going to melt right there in my chair. However, towards the end of the evening, the temperature dropped drastically and several people wrapped up warm in their down-feather jackets and blankets, the scene resembled an after-ski event in the alps. Someone even told me that in the past it has been warmer on New Year's Eve than on Midsummer's Eve! Shocking, to say the least…

No comments:

Post a Comment