Thursday 2 October 2014

Volunteering: Fresher's 2014

Saturday 6th of September:
The day after I arrived was the first day of my volunteering week for Fresher's 2014. I headed up to the student village, Hillhead, where I stayed in my first year at uni at 8.00. I was greeted by the lovely sun and a big group of other volunteers, ready for the hectic day to come.
Lucy and I got assigned to direct the cars at the entrance. We basically had to ask the people in the car which building they were heading to, and then told them which car park to drive to. We also stressed the issue that there was very limited parking space.
Lucy and I were there for about 3 hours, before James and Katie took over for us. I headed back to "the dome" and had some lunch. I was then asked to help out the students in "the dome", answering queries and general mingling. I also helped a few people find their way around Hillhead as well as telling a girl where to go in town to purchase bedding and the like.
I was then assigned to help people carry their bags from the drop-off point to their accommodation. This was fun, but also very tiring, as some of the people had loads of bags with them, and they were so heavy! I helped a girl from Romania (who I am now friends with), a guy all the way from India, a few girls from Edinburgh and a guy from Edinburgh.
I would also like to point out that it was chucking it down with rain for a few hours on Saturday as well, so I was soaked.
On my way home at 18.30 I stopped by my old accommodation (where I lived in 2nd year) to visit Hannah. She gave me a cup of tea and we spoke for about 45 minutes. It was so nice to finally sit down after having stood up for most of the day! I then headed back home where I collapsed onto my bed and didn't want to move because my joints hurt so much! But the annoying thing was that I was really hungry, which meant that I had to get up and make some food before I passed out.

Sunday 7th of September:
At nine I met up with Katie and Lina in the train station in town for the meet & greet. We were told to get the Fresher's from the trains and busses and bring them to the minibus which would take them to their accommodation. This day was not as hectic as Saturday which was good, but it was quite chilly in the train station. I was there unit about 14.30 when I headed off to meet Hannah outside the cinema. We had decided to watch "Before I go to Sleep" with Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth. I really enjoyed the movie as it had quite a few plot twists (which I love), however, the story is a little creepy. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about the movie.

Monday 8th of September:
I only did about an hour or so of volunteering which was nice as I got to relax a little for the first time since I got back. I then went out with Maria and Alice in the evening, although I can't for the life of me remember where we were pre-drinking….

Tuesday 9th of September:
I spent the whole day on King's Lawn in the marquee as it was the Sports Fayre. IT was a lot of fun but it was incredibly warm in that tent! Also, we had about 4000 students walking in throughout the whole day - that's pretty amazing. The polo club even had a horse there; a great incentive for people wanting to join.

Wednesday 10th of September:
Spent the whole day in the marquee as it was time for the Societies Fayre. As I am a committee member of the Nordic Society, I was there all day talking to people and recruiting new members. I was also outside doing some PR-ing in the form of sticking stickers on people, promoting our first event of the year, the free beer and crisps event!

Thursday 11th of September:
In the evening I had an event for a few hours but it wasn't at all tiring as there was hardly anything to do. However, after that I headed into town as I was volunteering in Garage (a nightclub). This is the night that Kristian Nairn (Hodor from Game of Thrones) was the DJ. I had so much fun and the music was really good as well! I got home at around 3.30 after I had helped all the Freshers get on their busses back to their accommodation.

That's all the volunteering I did for Fresher's week. It was exhausting but so much fun! I also met so many new people which is great :)

No comments:

Post a Comment