Friday 24 October 2014

Stream of consciousness


Sometimes I get asked the question what language my stream of consciousness is speaking. Often the answer is English, other times I say it's Swedish, and sometimes even Italian. When I'm angry or frustrated, I express myself a lot better in English, and so my thoughts are naturally in English. When I count to myself, I count in Swedish, odd. When I'm in a social setting where it's not exactly appropriate to swear, I swear in Italian, and sometimes Danish. Why Danish, you may wonder, truthfully I find it extremely satisfying to swear in Danish. I don't know why exactly, I just do.

Something quite interesting, which I thought of just now, is that my stream of consciousness has an American accent, whereas when I speak in English, my accent varies depending on who I'm speaking to. But I think my accent is predominantly American/Canadian, but has changed over the course of the two years that I have been living here. I now pronounce certain words with a Scottish accent, and other words with an English accent. Sometimes I even throw in a word or two in an Australian accent, just for the hell of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment