Wednesday 15 May 2013

Wanderlust Tag


1. Your most treasured passport stamp?
My most treasured stamp is the one I got when I went to South Africa in 2004. I like it because they stuck a small piece of legal paper in my passport and then stamped beside that. I think this was my first ever official stamp in my passport.

2. Can you recite your passport number from memory if asked?

No, I don't know anybody who has memorized their passport number...

3. Preferred method of travel; planes, trains or automobiles?

I would have to say train, if you're traveling a shorter distance. But obviously if you're going somewhere really far away then I prefer the plane. But I like that trains are so smooth and fast. They have comfortable seats and I like the atmosphere overall. Planes are dry, smelly and cramped. Horrible.

4. Top 3 travel items?

Hand cream. I hate, let me repeat, hate having dry hands. I especially get dry hands when I'm on airplanes. Music so I don't get bored. Lastly, earplugs. This is and essential for when you're traveling someplace far and want to sleep fairly peacefully. I used to always bring a book with me but lately I have realized my eyes get really dry while reading on airplanes... it's the God damned dry, recycled air they use!

5. Hostel or hotel?

I'd have to say hotel because it's a lot more comfortable and feels a lot safer. But if you're on a budget I would pick to stay in a hostel. Obviously, where you are staying depends a lot on where you actually are. If you're only staying for one night then I would suggest a hostel just because it's easy and very cheap.

6. Are you a repeat visitor or do you explore new places?

I hate to say it but a repeat. The reason why I say "I hate to say it," is because I want to travel to new places, but it's so comfortable going back to a place you've been before and know you'll have a good time. I want to broaden my horizons and experience new things so I want to explore new places! Hopefully I will get the opportunity in the near future :)

7. Do you read up on your destination (culture, history, safety) or do you wing it?

Yes, I think reading up on your destination is very important for everyone. I mean obviously you would want to know what kind of place you are actually traveling to. If it's safe, what kind of culture there is, where to eat, where to shop - that sort of thing. This is the way to go if you want to go make the most of your time there.

8. Favourite travel website?

TripAdvisor. I go on there to read reviews of places, written by people who have actually been there. The website is great if you want to know about the hotel you are going to stay at. I also tend to go on HostelWorld as well, to find cheap places to stay!

9. Where would you recommend a friend to visit? Why?

I think I'd have to say South Africa. For everything. If you want adveture, you've got it. If you want great food and wine, you sure as hell are going to the right place. If you want beautiful environments and landscapes, you've got it. I swear, South Africa has it all! It's magnificent. When you're there you have the perfect opportunity of going out to the bush and on a safari. It's the most incredible thing you'll ever experience. When we were there we stayed for five days in the bush (Umlani Bushcamp), and then the rest of the holiday near Cape Town.

10. You're leaving tomorrow, money is no option, where are you going?

Australia. Preferably to the Great Barrier Reef which is the world's largest coral reef system composed of over 2,900 individual reefs and 900 islands stretching for over 2,600 kilometres. I want to travel there and snorkel amongst the colourful fish and coral.
Or maybe to Bora Bora. If you Google Bora Bora you'll understand why this is. It just looks so relaxing and beautiful! The water, the sand, the huts in the sea... Perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment